The Lead Education and Abatement Design Group (LEAD) is a not-for-profit community organisation which develops and provides information and referrals on lead poisoning and lead contamination prevention and management. Our goal is to work to eliminate childhood and foetal lead poisoning and to protect the environment from lead in Australia and throughout the world.
We aim to achieve this in three main ways:
- Through information and referrals on our website including self-help egroups and Question and Answer;
- Input into government policy on lead abatement and the elimination of lead in products and processes;
- Advice and advocacy nationally and globally. (The new name of our advisory service reflects the global nature of the service.)
What we go
The LEAD Group has provided the following services, nationally and internationally:
- Telephone and email advice for parents and carers of lead poisoned children.
- Awareness raising about the problems of lead in lead mining, smelting, manufacturing and urban communities, especially inner-city areas.
- Helped foster the development of a ceiling dust removal industry in Sydney and other major Australian cities and lead affected rural areas, whilst encouraging the lead abatement industry, especially manufacturers of lead substitute products with export potential.
- Developed a comprehensive library (possibly the largest public resource of this kind, in the world) covering all aspects of lead.
- Web-published numerous factsheets, databases of referrals and library items, and the now defunct (due to lack of sufficient funding) LEAD Action News, a quarterly newsletter containing all the latest on lead issues.
- Distributed free, independent and authoritative information packs and individual information products totalling 8,358,386 copies in the last 9 years.
- Organised counselling sessions, information nights and a self-help egroup Plumbism and Autism Network (PAN) for groups of parents with lead-affected children.
- Developed networks of people working on lead issues, in order to maintain the best referral database on lead in Australia.
- Worked with local councils on environmental policy development especially through the NSW Council LEAD Project.
- We also sell DIY Sampling Kit to check for Lead Test, It is Laboratory (NATA Accreditted) tested. And provide comprehensive result and advice. Please refer to http://www.lead.org.au/clp/products/Do_It_Yourself_Lead_Safe_Test_Kits_Ad.html for futher information on the Kit.
Key Areas of Expenditure
Increase environmental lead tests
Assist smelter communities
Create easy-to-read lead info on the web