Jimmy's Walk for Cancer - Changing the World one step at a time
Hi my name is James 'Jimmy' Harrington and I am from Adelaide, South Australia. On the 19th of May 2013, I will undertake one of the biggest events in my life - walking around Australia, covering 18000km from town to town, City to City.
The purpose of my walk is to raise money and awareness for childhood cancer. I have set myself a goal to raise $300,000.00 and hope to be able to stand at the finish line in May 2014 and hand over a large cheque to my chosen charity Brainchild Foundation.
My walk has been inspired by a lovely young girl named Emily Crook. I was privileged enough to meet Emily in 2010 while she was undergoing treatment for brain cancer. Although Emily lost her battle in August 2011, her courage inspired me to do something to help other children with cancer. Sitting back and watching this happen to others was not an option for me and this is when I started to plan my walk.
My Charity of Choice - Brainchild Foundation
The Brainchild Foundation is a Queensland based charity that was established in 2010 with the aim of helping children who are affected by brain and spinal cord tumours, and their families.
There are 5 key objectives of the Brainchild Foundation, each represented by one of the stars in our logo:
- To raise awareness of brain and spinal tumours in children and to build a community of supporters committed to finding a cure.
- To improve the treatment and outcomes for children with brain and spinal cord tumours.
- To promote ground-breaking research into the causes and treatments of these tumours.
- To provide support to affected children and their families by way of financial aid, tutoring scholarships etc.
- To raise funds to help achieve all of these critical activities.
Your donation will make a huge difference in the life of a child with brain or spinal cancer. Please help me 'change the world, one step at a time'.