Market Forces was launched in January 2013 with the aim of helping individuals and communities prevent finance into environmentally destructive activities. Our philosophy is that change is the result of people power. So we have worked to make it as easy as possible for people to see their own financial connection to fossil fuels, and then remove as many barriers to taking action as possible. We want it to be empowering and enjoyable for people to take part in our campaigns. Most of all, we want to get results that mean positive outcomes for the environment. In just two years, our achievements include:
- Revealing over $80 billion in bank loans to fossil fuel projects in Australia, and where superannuation funds worth hundreds of billions of dollars are invested in coal, gas and oil
- Showing how our taxes are used to subsidise fossil fuels, and helping win a $1 billion cut to fossil fuel subsidies
- Campaigning to get Deutsche Bank and HSBC to commit to not fund the expansion of the Abbot Point coal export port, which has led to many more European and US-based banks doing the same
- Helping thousands of people shift nearly half a billion dollars out of fossil fuel funding banks
- Profiling over 120 banks, mutuals and credit unions to show people the options available for where they can bank fossil fuel free
- And we've been a major part of a movement that has put fossil fuel divestment well and truly on the map in Australia.
We reckon that's a pretty decent list of achievements for a team that is now just four part time staff. But we're only going to be able to continue this work if we can build a community of donors chipping in to sustain this project.
With just a small monthly donation, we can make millions of dollars worth of difference - it will be great to have you on board!