Association for Children with a Disability provides information, support and advocacy to families of children (0-18) with a disability or developmental delay across Victoria.
ACD is run by parents and siblings so we know what it means to have a child or sibling with a disability. We understand issues from a family perspective.
When disability becomes part of a child´s life it is usually a very stressful experience for the whole family. Disability opens up a whole new world and it is easy to feel lost in it. Without the right information, support and direction we can become exhausted and isolated from our family and friends and dependent on services that often don´t meet our needs.
Families need to be supported at this time, to help them keep their life on track.
Like all children, everyone who faces greater challenges because of disability should have access to therapies, interventions and hands-on support so that what you want to achieve in life, can be a reality.
ACD Purpose and Principles
ACD exists to improve the lives of children with a disability and their families by:
- Empowering families of children with a disability
- Advocating for individual children with a disability and their families
- Influencing public policy and program development to advance the rights of children with a disability and their families
- Educating service providers, government and the wider community
- Collaborating with others to improve life opportunities for children with a disability and their families
- Celebrating the achievements of children with a disability and their families