Geelong Food Relief Centre
8 Freedman Street
North Geelong 3215
Closed Public Holidays and from Christmas to Mid January.
Need help with Food?
Uniting Church: South Geelong
2 Balliang Street, South Geelong 3220
Mon - Fri 8.30am -4.30pm
St Vincent De Paul
162 Fyans Street, South Geelong
Mon-Fri 9.00am -2.00pm
Emergency Relief appointments Only 52219170
The centre was founded over 20 years ago, in response to the financial difficulties caused by the collapse of a major financial institution in Geelong.
Who are we?
The Geelong Food Relief Centre is a not-for-profit charity that aims to deliver nutritious food to individuals and families experiencing hardship.
To provide food aid services to those disadvantaged in our region, in a dignified and compassionate manner.
To provide this service we rely on the generosity of businesses and organisations in our region and the major support of the Give Where You Live.
Who is vulnerable to food insecurity?
- Homeless People
- Low income households (eg. unemployed)
- Single parents and their children
- People with disabilities
- Indigenous Australians
- People with poor access to transport
- Households experiencing housing stress (eg. Mortgage or rental)
- Aged people
- Young adults (eg. university students)
What do we do?
The Geelong food relief Centre provides emergency and supplementary grocery supplies via a Mini-Mart in North Geelong.
A Bulk distribution service also operates from the Centre, to meet the needs of agencies operating community pantries or similar enterprises.
We supply this service on behalf of over 40 welfare agencies and organisations in the Greater Geelong region, Bellarine, Surf Coast and Winchelsea areas.
Every year more the 8,000 families use the centre, equating to more the 24,000 adults and children.
The Centre also works in conjunction with welfare officers at schools in the region to provide emergency food packs and food families in need.
In 2011 over 7,000kg of food was distributed in this way.
How does it work?
Customers are assessed by participating agencies and provided with a voucher to redeem at the Mini Mart.
The Mini-Mart stock includes groceries, fresh fruit and vegetables, milk, frozen foods, meat and basic toiletry needs. Customers are free to make their own selections.
The Mini-Mart uses a point System. Food has a point value rather than a dollar value and are shelved according to their point value. Using this point system there is a minimum of 5 points up to 10 points that need to be used on what is called "free" food.
This free food consists of fruit and vegetables, bread, bakery items, fareshare frozen meals, food provided by SecondBite, Foodbank Victoria product and other donations from appeals etc. The value of the 5 points will always be more than $5 as we have a good supply of fresh seasonal fruit and vegetables , bread etc. and are hopeful we can be generous in this area. This method also encourages clients to make some healthy choices to maximize the value of their voucher.
How can you help?
- Cash Donations-The Geelong Food Relief Centre is a registered Deductible Gift Recipient, Public Benevolent Institution. Donations over $2 are tax deductible
- Food Donations- Donations of food are always welcome and can be dropped at the Centre or collected if required.
- Sponsorship/Promotion- If you have, or are involved in, a business or organization that would like to organize a food appeal, we can provide collection boxes, posters and brochures, or a guest speaker.
- Volunteers- If you would like to find out more about volunteering please visit our website at www.geelongfoodrelif.org