The Illawarra Health and Medical Research Institute (IHMRI) brings more than 700 academic and clinical researchers together to improve the health and wellbeing of the Illawarra community.
Based in our headquarters on the University of Wollongong campus or in health service settings around the Illawarra and Shoalhaven region, IHMRI researchers are passionate about solving some of the common and complex health issues plaguing individuals and families.
Dozens of innovative studies are underway including the flagship population health studies, HealthTrack
and Illawarra Born
The results of our studies are not only being directly implemented in regional health settings but garnering worldwide attention.
While IHMRI is positioned to become a regional powerhouse of innovation and growth, with your help we can do more.
Why we need to raise funds
While many IHMRI researchers are funded through government grants, the funding pool is getting smaller every year and many promising early to mid-career researchers miss out and have to move to capital cities. We'd like to keep them in the Illawarra.
We also require funds to advance promising research, pilot new projects, purchase vital equipment and enable researchers to get their 'blue sky' ideas off the ground.
How will your gift be used?
IHMRI researchers are involved in all facets of health and medical research, but focus on some core themes including:
- Mental health and wellbeing (studies into depression, schizophrenia, personality disorders and drug dependence)
- Dementia other neurodegenerative disorders (investigating the cause of Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and devastating illnesses such as Motor Neurone Disease)
- Diet and lifestyle (looking at ways to reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases like obesity and diabetes in both adults and children)
- Care for the elderly (service improvement and fall prevention)
- Cancer (new models of care plus the development of innovative diagnostic techniques and drugs)
- New generation medical devices (use of cutting-edge materials and 3 printing techniques)
- Population health.
If you are passionate about a specific health and medical issue, please let us know by clicking the "Optional Information" section of the Give Now form. Send us a "Special Message" and we will do our best to direct your funds to the right cause.
to learn more.